Foundation for the Future!
Hindu temples are not mere places of worship. They are the structures where the Primordial Cosmic Power is present, literally accepting the worship and gracing the devotees.
As indicated by the word ‘Kovil’ and ‘Devālaya’, a temple is venerated as the residence of God. A Hindu goes to temple to pay homage to God. Hindus keep an altar at home for the individual prayers, whereas temples perform prayers for the benefit of the entire community.
Throughout our history, the temple has exercised an enormous influence on the social life of the Hindus. Apart from keeping the torch of Dharma burning aloft, the temple has been the greatest single factor in keeping the Hindu society together. The construction and maintenance of the building have nurtured various arts such as sculpturing. Religious and musical discourses have helped the propagation of religion. Music, dance and other fine arts have received great encouragement. Being a centre of learning, the temple helped in the acquisition and propagation of knowledge. Both scholars and students found shelter there. The granaries of the temple helped to feed the hungry, and those unable to earn their livelihood due to disease and deformity. The temple often played the role of a court of law for settling disputes. The temple also gave shelter to the people during wars or natural calamities. There are several instances of even hospitals and dispensaries being run by the temples. With its enormous wealth, temples also acted as a treasury to the needy.
Thus the temple was all-in-all in the Hindu social life for centuries. There is no reason why it should not be revitalized so that it can play even greater roles in the future. With this end in view, Malaysia Hindu Sangam organises the ‘National Temple Convention – Foundation for the Future’.
The success of this convention, we hope will lay a solid foundation to revitalize the Hindu temples in Malaysia and to restore its past glory as the epitome of Hindu culture and civilization.
- To have a shared vision on the future of Hindu Temples in Malaysia
- To share applicable lessons of best practices among Hindu Temples in Malaysia
- To create a platform to exhibit the Best Temples in Malaysia as well as highlight on the history and Temple
- The convention is expected to bring regional and international participants. These will include the experts, academicians, scholars, and thinkers in contemporary Hinduism. \
- Managements and administrators of prominent temples, as well as leading priests also will be invited to share their experiences.
Papers will be presented by scholars, spiritual leaders, learned priests, and temple managements.
Forum on Current Temple Issues
A forum to be moderated with panelists from prominent temples and NGOs.
Question & Answer Session
Open discussion on Temple Issues.
Release of ‘A Comprehensive Temple Guide’
A comprehensive guide in Tamil and Malay prepared by Malaysia Hindu Sangam will be released.
- Adoption of Temples as a symbol of Hindu culture and civilization in Malaysia.
- Increased levels of knowledge and awareness among public, especially the young generation on the role and significance of Temples.
- Understanding the role of temples as a catalyst for educational and community development.
- Finding solutions for the challenges via integrated temple management.
Indicator of Achievement
- Increased number of general attendance and participation in temple programmes
- Increased number of temples as change agents in Malaysia
Date & Venue
- Keep the updates from our Event Calendar in www.facebook.com/malaysiahindusangam/
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- Chairmen of temples, temple management committees, priests, Hindu organisations, and Hindu scholars are invited to attend this Convention.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Telephone : 03-7784 4668